Welcome to Rockwood Heaven
The Rockwood Conservation Area is operated by the Grand River Conservation Authority. It is open from May 1 to October 15. Besides being a lovely place to camp, swim and picnic, the park contains sites of interests to residents and visitors alike.
Visit the Grand River Conservation Authority website for more info on the Rockwood Conservation Area
The Woollen Mill was started in 1867 by Richard Harris, with the stone structure being built in 1884. The mill operated from 1867 until 1919, then reopened for a short time in the 1930's. The mill and the surrounding property were sold to the Conservation Authority in 1959. Much of the structure was destroyed by fire in 1965. Careful inspection along the river might turn up remnants of the foundations of workers' cottages. The preserved ruin of the old Harris Woollen Mill, the dam and millpond, Old Valley Road and the caves and pot holes are all of historical, architectural and geological interest and go a long way to explaining why Rockwood exists today.
The Pavilion is a large chalet-style pavilion overlooking the beach. It has a capacity of over 100 people. The pavilion has hydro and water, washrooms with flush toilets underneath and parking nearby.
To rent this facility, or for more information, please call the Rockwood Conservation Area at (519) 856-9543.
Grand River Cons. Auth.
Harris Woolen Mill